Number of Servings: 6
Getting started with the ingredients
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 to 3 jalape?o or serrano chilies, seeded and minced
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 14.5-ounce can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked winter squash puree (pie pumpkin, butternut, etc.)
- 2 cups Organic Valley Original or Unsweetened Soy Milk, plus additional soy milk as desired, divided
- 2 teaspoons bottled Thai-style fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons (or more) fresh-squeezed lime juice
- handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
How to prepare Asian flavours Winter squash soup
Heat peanut oil in saucepan; add shallots, ginger and chilies. Cook over medium heat,
stirring often, until shallots are tender. Add stock and squash puree. Stir and simmer
slowly, about 10 minutes. Stir in soy milk and heat through. Stir in fish sauce, lime
juice and cilantro. Add additional soy milk, if desired, for thinner consistency. Season
to taste. If using canned broth, use salt sparingly. Garnish each bowl with coconut
flakes or more cilantro, if desired.
Variations: For a vegetarian and vegan version, omit fish sauce and substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth. If you prefer, substitute Organic Valley Whole Milk for soy milk.
Be the first to comment on "Asian Flavors Winter Squash Soup"