Number of servings: 4
Getting Started with the ingredients
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 whole chicken breast (3/4 pound)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup cubed jicama
- Heat broiler.
- Place bell peppers on rack of broiler pan about 5 inches from heat. Broil peppers, turning occasionally, until skin is blistered and evenly browned (not burned). Remove pepper to a brown paper bag and close tightly. Let peppers stand 20 minutes.
- Place chicken on rack in broiler pan. Place broiler pan so top of chicken is 5-7 inches from heat. Broil chicken 15 minutes, turning one, until juices until clear.
- Cut chicken into 1/4 inch strips.
- Pare peppers; discard skin. Place peppers and onion in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Heat pepper mixture, chicken broth, lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and garlic to boiling in 2-quart saucepan; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and jicama. Heat until hot.