Number of Servings: 16
Getting Started with the ingredients
For the Pumpkin Filling
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves, optional
For the Empanada Dough
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 generous pinches cinnamon
- 3 cups flour, divided in half
- generous 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
The actual preparation
- Mix ingredients together and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine water, sugar, salt, yeast, baking powder, and cinnamon. Using an electric mixer, gradually blend in half of the flour. Add shortening and thoroughly mix, then gradually blend in remaining flour.
Divide dough into 4 equal parts, ten shape each into 4 dough balls. Slap the dough balls between the palms of your well-floured hands until somewhat flattened, then roll on a floured surface until circles approximately 4 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick.
Put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling in the center of each circle, fold over, and seal edges by pressing lightly with a fork on both sides.
Bake on greased cookie sheet until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes (watch carefully; they can burn quickly).