- 1 cup raw rice
- 1/2 cup green gram dhal
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups jaggery powdered
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 5 cardamoms powdered
- 2 cloves powdered
- 1 small piece nutmeg grated or powdered
- A pinch of saffron
- Roast dry the green gram dhal for a couple of minutes.
- Cook the rice and green gram dhal with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup milk in the microwave and set aside.
- Dissolve the jaggery in 3/4 cup water and cook on a low heat till the jaggery melts.
- Strain the jaggery to remove the dirt.
- Put the syrup once more on the heat and stir till it becomes slightly sticky.
- Add the cooked rice and dhal.
- Heat the 4 tbsp ghee.
- Fry the cashewnuts and raisins and add to the pongal.
- Add the powdered cardamoms,cloves nutmeg and saffron.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot.
Be the first to comment on "Sweet Pongal – Kesari Bhaath"