Number of Servings: 4-5
Getting started with the Ingredients
- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons tarragon wine-vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown or green lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur, preferably fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted lightly and chopped fine
The Actual Cooking
- In a small bowl combine shallot and 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- In a small saucepan simmer lentils in water to cover by 2 inches until just tender but not falling apart, 15 to 20
- minutes, and drain well.
- Add hot lentils to shallot mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Cool mixture, stirring occasionally.
- In a small heavy saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups water, bulgur, and salt and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer bulgur to a large bowl and cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils to bulgur with celery, carrot, tarragon, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar, oil, walnuts, and salt and pepper to taste and toss well.
- Salad may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring salad to room temperature before serving.