Makes 3 large loaves
Getting started with the Ingredients
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 5 cups white flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- Small handful salt (~1 Tbsp.)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Margarine for pans
Proceed to Bake as follows
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the middle. Warm milk, molasses and honey in the microwave for approximately 1 1/2 minutes (you can place the molasses & honey in the same measuring cup). Pour mixture into well in dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg and oil together and add this mixture to bowl. Add water gradually until dough is the proper consistency (not too sticky). Mix thoroughly.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. While waiting, grease 3 loaf pans with margarine. Lightly flour your hands and the countertop. Knead dough for about 15 minutes and then let it rest for 5 minutes for easier stretching. Pull or knead out to desired size. Cut into 3 pan-sized pieces.
- Place each piece in a greased loaf pan. Allow one side to soak up the margarine, then flip over and place the other side down in the pan. Cover the pans with a dishtowel and let them rise in a warm oven. Check after 1 hour. They may need to rise for another 15-45 minutes. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
Corn and molasses bread: use 2 cups of cornmeal and cup of molasses instead of molasses and honey
Oat bread: use 2 cups of oatmeal instead of cornmeal
Grunder bread: add a cup of cracked wheat
White bread: use only white flour 8-9 cups and no molasses
Seedy bread: add a tablespoon each of anise and caraway seeds