Eat fresh food, safe food
- In summers, have freshly made food. Consume food within 2-3 hours of preparation.
- Keep food (when outside the refrigerator) in a cool place and covered
- In summers even if food is kept in the refrigerators (functioning refrigerator) after preparation, consume it within 5-6 hours of preparation.
- Only items which are fried and made in lots of oil / ghee like puris, parathas, pokodas can be kept for 15-20 hours.
- When serving food from the refrigerators or which has been kept for 2-3 hours after cooking, reheat it, preferably bring it to boiling temperature before serving
- In winters food can be kept for 4-5 hours after preparation.
- Keep all food covered (house-flies and spread of contagious diseases is a major problem in India). Don’t consume cooked food on which has been exposed to houseflies.
Keep food at safe temperatures :
- Do not leave cooked food at room temperature for more than 2 hours
- Refrigerate promptly all cooked and perishable food (preferably below 5°C)
- Keep cooked food piping hot (more than 60°C) prior to serving
- Do not store food too long even in the refrigerator
Most of rural India and a large proportion of urban Indians do not have refrigerators. Even amongst those who have refrigerators they may be having immense power cuts making the refrigerators non-functional for several hours in a day in summer. With soaring temperatures in most part of India (& probably), there are many power cuts (load shedding); so effectively the refrigerator is non functional for many hours in a day.( It will depend immensely on the target population, whether in Delhi or other metropolitan cities of India and also on the socio-economic status of the beneficiary )
Many refrigerators especially the older models of refrigerators which people have, have a freezer compartment but not a deep freeze (enough to make ice but not enough to maintain the consistency of ice-cream.)
Even when there is a supply of power, if the refrigerator is opened often as in many households and shops with the outside temperature soaring, the temperatures inside are not very well maintained.
Be the first to comment on "Fresh Food and Health"