- 4 tuna steaks
- 1 x 240g/8?oz can chopped tomatoes or 250g/9oz fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 Mediterranean style red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2tsp tomato pur?e
- 2tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
1. Gently heat the tomatoes, tomato pur?e and pepper in a pan, add only half the chilli at first (add the rest later if you want more bite).
2. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally until the pepper is tender, then add the sugar. Finally add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Heat your barbecue or griddle pan so that it is very hot. Take your tuna steaks and oil them lightly, place them on the barbecue, the tuna should be seared, sealing in the juice and flavour.
4. Flip the tuna every couple of minutes until it is cooked evenly. Cook ?until the steaks are a white colour all the way through.
5. Place the tuna steaks on a plate, and spoon some of the sauce over each steak.
Serve with salad and a complimentary rose.