Makes 3 large loaves
Getting started with the ingredients
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 5 cups white flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- Small handful salt (~1 Tbsp.)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- Margarine for pans
How to Bake
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the middle. Warm milk, molasses and honey in the microwave for approximately 1 1/2 minutes (you can place the molasses & honey in the same measuring cup). Pour mixture into well in dry ingredients.
Beat the egg and oil together and add this mixture to bowl. Add water gradually until dough is the proper consistency (not too sticky). Mix thoroughly.
Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. While waiting, grease 3 loaf pans with margarine. Lightly flour your hands and the countertop. Knead dough for about 15 minutes and then let it rest for 5 minutes for easier stretching. Pull or knead out to desired size. Cut into 3 pan-sized pieces.
Place each piece in a greased loaf pan. Allow one side to soak up the margarine, then flip over and place the other side down in the pan. Cover the pans with a dishtowel and let them rise in a warm oven. Check after 1 hour. They may need to rise for another 15-45 minutes. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
- Corn and molasses bread: use 2 cups of cornmeal and cup of molasses instead of molasses and honey
- Oat bread: use 2 cups of oatmeal instead of cornmeal
- Grunder bread: add a cup of cracked wheat
- White bread: use only white flour 8-9 cups and no molasses
- Seedy bread: add a tablespoon each of anise and caraway seeds